Claire Shorenstein: Episode 22
Claire gives us a nutritious (and tasty) recipe to try!
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3-4 carrots, shredded or grated
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 head lettuce
1 chile (Thai, jalapeno, serrano), finely chopped
1 lime, sliced
½ red onion, finely chopped
1 small piece of fresh ginger, peeled & finely chopped
3 Tbsp low sodium soy or tamari sauce
- Cut the bottom of the lettuce head off, so that the leaves come apart. Wash and dry leaves thoroughly and set them aside.
- Spray a large pan with cooking spray. Add ground turkey to the pan and cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, using a spoon to break up the larger clumps.
- Add the chopped onion, ginger and garlic and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Stir in the chile and carrots then deglaze by adding the vinegar and soy or tamari sauce. Stir thoroughly, and let cook until almost all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from the heat and place into a bowl.
- To serve, spoon some meat into a lettuce leaf and squeeze in some lime juice. I also enjoy adding sliced avocado on top. Fold lettuce leaves over the filling, roll it up and enjoy!